Introduction to Reception
At Silsden Primary School we believe that early childhood learning lays the foundations on which children build on for the rest of their lives. We value the role that the EYFS plays in the learning and development of children within our setting. Our curriculum is delivered through carefully planned themes, as well as adaptive child led learning. The continuous provision encourages children to initiate their own learning through play.
In Reception, we aim to capture the magic of childhood by allowing children to embark on a journey of discovery and exploration, through our naturally inspired provision both indoors and outdoors. We feel that a natural holistic approach ensures our children have fantastic opportunities to explore the awe and wonder of the world we live in.
We create a happy and caring atmosphere where all children feel valued and safe and where they will have the opportunity to develop positive relationships with all the adults and children within our setting. In the first half term we place a huge emphasis on personal, social and emotional skills to help the children settle in and to establish routines and relationships.
Communication, literacy and language are at the heart of our curriculum to equip all children with the tools needed to be successful learners across all areas, particularly within their reading and writing.
We encourage all of our children to play and explore, learn new things, have fun, persevere, concentrate, have their own ideas, make links to their learning and make their own choices to become confident, independent individuals.
Aims & objectives
The content of the curriculum within the early year’s unit is set out within the Revised EYFS document. Guidance is given on effective learning and teaching through seven areas of learning. Each include ages and stages of development which show the knowledge, skills, understanding and attitudes that children need to learn in order to achieve the expected levels of development by the end of their Reception Year.
We aim to support all children to become independent and collaborative learners. Across the Foundation Stage, we will provide a broad and balanced curriculum that will enable each child to develop socially, emotionally, spiritually, physically, creatively and intellectually to their full potential. At Silsden Primary School, we will:
· Provide a happy, safe, stimulating and challenging programme of learning and development for the children to experience as they begin their journey through school.
· Provide a broad, balanced, relevant and creative curriculum that will set in place firm foundations for further learning and development in Key Stage 1 and beyond and enable choice and decision making, fostering independence and self-confidence.
· Value what each child can do, assessing their individual needs and next steps and helping each child to progress. We will use a variety of assessment methods including ongoing and more formalised observations and assessments.
· Develop positive relationships with parents and carers to build a strong partnership in supporting their children
· Provide a caring and inclusive learning environment which is sensitive to the requirements of the individual child including those who have additional needs. We follow the curriculum as outlined in the 2021 Statutory Framework for Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) document, which is available by clicking HERE.